Everyone has gloomy days when only depressed and destructive thoughts come to mind, and life seems meaningless. At these moments, writers Esther and Jerry Hicks suggest taking a sheet of paper and a pen and trying the Focus-Wheel method. Trust us – it really helps you get things done.
- First, draw a large circle on the sheet of paper. Then draw a smaller circle, about 2-inches (5 cm) in diameter, in the center of the big circle. Sit back, relax and look intently at the small circle. Feel your eyes focus upon it.
- Now, close your eyes for a moment, and turn your attention to the events that caused the negative emotions. Define exactly what it is that you don't want to do or experience again.
- Then it's time to tell yourself: "I definitely know what I don't want. So, what do I want?"
- Try to identify clearly what you do want. Remember that you should be guided by the way you want to feel about the situation. Formulate your desire in one short phrase, and write it down in the small circle. It will be the center of your Focus-Wheel.
- Outside the perimeter of the small circle, write down your thoughts about your goal, results of its achievement, and things that lift your mood. Keep writing them on the perimeter of the large circle. Start at 12 o'clock (imagine that you are looking at a clock), and write clockwise to 1 o'clock, 2 o'clock and so on, until you have 12 statements that give you positive emotions.
For example, let's say that you desperately want to lose weight. Write this goal in the center of the small circle. Then write all your motivations in the sectors in a way that when you reach the last sector, you will have already felt that you do have the abilities to achieve your goal. We have no doubt you can do it!
The Focus-Wheel method is so effective because you've already consciously chosen the statements you are writing. They represent the beliefs that you've always considered right for yourself, and they match your desires.
Focusing on the goal in the center of the wheel, you will find more and more evidence that all your intents can come true. You can achieve everything you want – just take the first step!