10 Shocking Facts About Modern Slavery
Mizuka Published 06/22/2015
The awful reality of how slavery is currently highest it's ever been in history.
- List View
- Player View
- Grid View
1. The modern slavery is known under the name "human trafficking" and refer
to illegal immigrants that cannot walk away from work their "masters"
provide them with.
2. Globally, there are about 47 million slaves in 2015, while there was a
little under 4 million slaves in the U.S. in 1860.
3. Slaves are much cheaper today than in the past. In the 19th century a
slave's cost was very high (around $19,000 in 2015 money). You can get
a slave for as little as $90 in 2015.
4. Over 65% of the slaves live in Asia, and work producing clothes.
5. In the United States, slavery most often takes the form of sexual
6. The United States ranks 145 out of 167 on the Global Slavery Index with
167 being the least amount of slavery.
8. The vast majority of slaves hold hereditary debt bondage. People are
born into slavery because their parents didn't pay off their own debt.
9. The most popular form of getting slaves in Eastern Europe is organizing
work in foreign countries. Women are promised to work in hotels in
Germany, for example, and as they arrive they learn that they were sold
to a brothel, their passport taken away from them.
10. The International Labor Organization estimates that slavery is
responsible for over $150 billion annual profits for slaveholders.
- REPLAY GALLERY
- 10 Shocking Facts About Modern Slavery
- NEXT GALLERY
- 24 Hilarious tl;dr Wikipedia Definitions