- List View
- Player View
- Grid View
1. Sam Ballard was 19 when he ate the slug on a dare from his mates in 2010.
2. Falling ill, the young man was found to be infected by rat lungworm. Found in rodents, the worm can sometimes infect snails or slugs with the parasite if they consume the rodents' excrement.
3. He then contracted eosinophilic meningoencephalitis - infection caused by the larvae of the rat lungworm. Some people recover from it. Ballard did not.
4. When Sam woke from his 420-day coma he found he had become a quadriplegic.
5. Sam was released from hospital three years after falling ill and was able to move around in a motorized wheelchair.
6. His friends raised money for the round-the-clock care he required with Sam suffering seizures. Among his other problems were an inability to control his body temperature. He needed to be tube fed. Last week, eight years after he fell ill, Ballard died aged 28.