- List View
- Player View
- Grid View
1. Lil Miquela is like any 19 year old girl in the spotlight. She loves fashion, makes catchy songs and does some modelling. She likes hanging out with her friends and she confesses her feelings on YouTube. But she's not a real person; Miquela is virtually created.
2. It is hard to tell if Miquela is real or not when first seeing photos of her: there's something slightly artificial about the way she looks, but there's nothing artificial about her identity or personality. She also has sponsorship from high-profile companies like Samsung and Calvin Klein.
3. No matter how genuine her life looks, Miquela is not real. She is a fictional, computer-generated character. But that doesn't stop her from having influence and admirers, signalling a new stage in our relationship with celebrities.
4. There's no evidence to suggest that the lives of influencers and celebrities aren't as curated as Miquela's life; at least we know that Miquela is a simulation. This hasn't stopped brands from wanting to advertise with her, or fans from being adoring. Social media has blurred the line between reality and fiction once and for all.
5. As humans and technology continue to grow together, there's no doubt that more 'people' like Miquela will come into existence. Look very closely at what you see online, because there's no telling if it's real or not.