- List View
- Player View
- Grid View
1. This is Tikiiri, a 70 year old feeble and ailing female. She is just one of the 60 elephants that are forced to march during the Perahera Festival in Sri Lanka this year. They are required to parade early every evening until late at night for ten consecutive nights, amidst the noise, the fireworks, and smoke.
2. Their malnourished bodies are hidden by elaborate costumes.
3. The elephants trudge many miles every day just so the onlookers feel blessed.
4. A temple spokesperson said they “always care about the animals,” and confirmed Tikiiri had visited an elephant doctor.
However, PETA wrote on it's website:
“Whether or not their scars are as visible as the ones in these viral images, elephants used in the tourism industry for rides and other direct-contact experiences are beaten, stabbed, and even shocked until they learn to fear their human handlers.”
5. Tikiiri works at the Temple of the Sacred Tooth Relic in Kandy, Sri Lanka, you can help by joining the thousands of people in signing a petition to keep her from having to continue suffering at the hands of the temple. You can find more info and ways to help on the Save the Elephants website.
- REPLAY GALLERY
- Heartbreaking Photos of Severely Malnourished Elephants Forced To Participate In Sri Lankan Festival